Long Term Goals

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 Path

I feel good.  It is amazing what one week of healthy living can do.  I'm definitely inspired to keep going. 

I have my first Interesting Dinner of 2013.  Since October 2004, I have been a part of a girls group that goes to dinner together once a month.  We added a few people over the years and this year we are changing it up quite a bit.  Three of ladies that were a part of the group have decided to drop out of the group and we have added a few new folks, including my BBF Debi!  I couldn't be more excited.  In order to splurge a bit (just a bit, no need to go crazy!), I'm going to add a 2nd workout on Thursday so I don't feel guilty.  I really want a second splendid week!

I have been thinking about New Year's resolutions and/or how I want to spend my time and resources in 2013.  I was very specific in my goals for 2012 and I was spectacular in my failure with them.  However, with the exception of weight, I had a fantastic 2012.  In fact, my word of the year was LIVE and I certainly did that.  So this year I want to be less specific, and more adaptable with an emphasis on good choices all around.

I can break my life down into these major sections:
  • Spirituality/Church
  • Work
  • Relationships
  • Health & Fitness
  • Household
  • Personal Time
Spirituality/Church - I currently give monthly (although less than I probably should) and serve as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.  However, I was feeling called to do more and have signed up to become a minister to the sick and home bound.  I will take communion to those that are in the nursing home.  I have no idea if this is the right ministry for me, but I'm going to give it a try.  My training meeting is 1/26 and I will get more information there. 

Work - I am in charge of a new venture at work.  It is like nothing I have ever done and I'm proud that our leadership has this faith in me.  My commitment is to continue to do the best job possible and hold my staff to the highest standards.  We have a fantastic team so I do not anticipate any issues here.  The one challenge is that I might have to put in more time, at least for a while.  That will require more effort in life balance.

Relationships - Over the last few years, I have worked hard to identify the most important relationships in my life and focus the lion share of my effort on those.  I spent a lot of time fostering relationships that were wildly uneven.  I am a ridiculously loyal person and sometimes I end up on the losing end of things.  But spending my time focusing on people that love me like I love them has helped me figure out the best path.  It isn't always obvious who your best friends are, but sometimes it is just clear like God wrote it across the sky.

Health & Fitness - The only 2013 goal I'm going to make is to make good choices and focus on my short term small goals.  I would like to be 30 pounds lighter by the end of the year.  That is basically losing what I gained in 2012.  I'm not going to obsess over it, but I hope by focusing on the smaller goals, it will get me there in the end.

Household - I was so specific last year with my organizing and quit after about two weeks.  But by the end of the year, I had organized my spare room and cleaned out my closet.  So, my overall goal for the year would be to continue on the decluttering and organizing path.  I would like to add an organizing cabinet in my bedroom like I did the spare room.  I would also like to redecorate my bedroom, but I think that needs to be a reward for something.  Maybe for getting back to my pre-plastics weight!

Personal Time - I like that I have cut down on the TV I watch and I would like that to continue.  I would like to spend more time reading and on fitness over the year.  Additionally, I would like to get back to piano playing.  I honestly don't think I have touched it since last January.  I need to make an effort. 

This at least gives me a path for 2013.  I can't wait to see how it develops!

2 comments:

  1. Wheeeeee! I can't wait :) And I think you are amazing and I am so thankful you are in my life ... xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great goals, and I agree, making redecorating your room would be a fantastic reward incentive!

    You should print this out and hang it on the fridge so you can see it!

    ReplyDelete